The White Lion / White Hart
Broad Street

Two important coaching inns of the past. In 1863 the owner of the White Lion acquired the White Hart and the Plume of Feathers in Wine Street, demolished the lot and built a new hotel named the White Lion opening in 1869.  It was re-named the Grand Hotel in 1874 and remains today one of Bristol’s premier hotels.  Down the street in the picture the sign of the White Swan Tavern can just be seen.

White Lion

1775. Richard Bowsher
1792. William Carr
1794 - 1800. Thomas Luce
1822 - 55. Isaac Niblett
1856. Niblett & Taylor
1858. Isaac Niblett
1860. ? Smith
1863 - 65. James Hilliar

White Hart

1775. William White
1792 - 94. George Poston
1800. John Turner
1822 - 56. Harriet Jarvis
1858 - 63. Charles Smith