The Rose & Crown / White Lion
St.James’s Churchyard

One of three pubs pulled down to allow for the building of Lewis’s Department store in the 1950’s.  The Rose & Crown was rebuilt around 1880 and renamed the White Lion around 1891, possibly by Jesse Whiting who had previously been at the White Lion across the road in Bridewell Street. 

the Rose & Crown in the late 1860’s

Rose & Crown

1775. Robert Hughes
1792. James Ball
1794. Sarah Darvill
1800 - 28. John Wintle
1830 - 34. Anthony Allen
1837. T. Stroud
1840. J. Rexworthy
1842 - 44. Thomas Boardman
1847 - 56. Philip Lewis
1860. C. Stewart
1863. William Pring
1865 - 67. Elizabeth Gunn
1867 - 69. Richard Townley
1871 - 72. Frederick Walker
1875. Isaac Hall
1877 - 78. C. Hopkins
1879 - 86. Charles Webb
1887 to 1889. Frederick Westell
1889 to 1890. Alice Westell
1891. Walter Holloway
1891. William Whiting

White Lion

1891 - 1904. Jesse Whiting
1906. Mrs. Jesse Whiting
1909. Mrs. A. Erskine
1914 - 31. Alice Rhodes
1935. John Day
1937. John Davey
1938. Fred Reed
1944. Arthur Swaithes
1950. Ernest Roberts