The Wheatsheaf
Thomas Street

The Wheatsheaf was the only remaining public house in St.Thomas Street when it was demolished in the 1950’s.  Although the inn was seventeenth century in origin the front of the building had at some time been re-built in brick and the rafters in the stables were the only original feature left when it was pulled down .

1775. Edward Peters
1794 - 1800. Thomas Willey
1820 - 42. Samuel House
1843 - 49. William Pearce
1852. Francis Vowles
1854. Robert Middleweek
1855 - 60. Joseph Mason
1863. Edward Meechem
1865 - 75. Levi Payne
1877. Robert Whaits
1878 - 89. William Leaman
1891 - 93. James Walker
1894. Alfred Grindell
1896. Thomas Budd
1897. Richard Holmes
1899. Tom Eyles
1901. Thomas Stewart
1904. Horatio Roberts
1906. James Gardner
1909. James Jay
1914 - 21. Samuel Reed
1925 - 37. Hubert Daniells
1938. Caroline Daniells
1944 - 50. Lily Edwards