The Trout
Cherry Lane

Drawing by C.F.W. Dening 1943

No longer a pub by 1919, this building which was thought to date from around 1715 was in poor condition by world war two and was demolished not long after.  Landlord Tom Davies was once the captain of Bristol Rugby Club.

These pictures were sent in by Yvonne Duffett of South Africa , they show her Father in law’s great grandfather Francis Thomas Duffett and his wife Elizabeth Legg. This is possibly the same Francis Duffett who was at the Trout 1841-47, can anyone confirm this.

The opening lines from ‘Early Music Hall In Bristol’ a pamphlet by Kathleen Barker.

Wine is the thing
That makes a body sing...
Pass round the bottle and start...
                     (Hooray for Daisy, Theatre Royal, 1959)

‘In this spirit was music hall born, in Bristol as elsewhere; in the taverns and the randier eating houses, at the Pleasure Gardens where song and dance accompanied al fresco refreshment. The first trace of organised entertainment in a Bristol public house comes in 1789, when the proprietor of the Old Trout Tavern in Cherry Lane off Stokes Croft advertised “Comus Court” to be held on 6 June, when

The Gentlemen of the original Catch-Club, Castle Ditch, have generously offered their kind assistance for that night only... N.B. This evening is intended to be chearful and harmonious, with variety of SONGS by Mr. DEARLE, for his benefit, being the last night of his performing in Bristol. -- Admittance One Shilling, at Eight o’ Clock’.

1775. Robert Witherly
1792. Henry Bateman
1794. William Snelling
1800. John Nickless
1822 - 33. John Hobbs
1834 to 1838. Francis Duffett
1839 to 1840. Thomas James
1841 to 1847. Francis Duffett
1848 to 1863. James Burrows
1865. H. Sowden
1866. Mrs. Sowden
1867. T. Sowden
1868 - 72. Sarah Sowden
1875 - 91. James Milford
1894 - 96. Thomas Davies
1897 - 1909. Henry Burrow
1914. Henry Butler