The Rising Sun
Lower Castle Street

On the corner with Ellbroad Street the old inn dating from 1606 was re-built in 1906 and then demolished in 1954 to be replaced by shops which were removed in 1970 to make way for the Holiday Inn. In 1954 Lower Castle Street was actually redirected slightly and part of the old cobbled road can still be seen at the corner of Castle Park, the site of the pub is now the flower bed by the Broad Weir traffic lights.

1775. John Williams
1794 - 1800. Richard James
1822. J. Tilley
1828 - 37. Uriah Pottow
1840 - 52. Jane Pottow
1853 - 89. James Phelps
1891. Samuel Palmer
1894. Matilda Palmer
1896. Samuel Palmer
1897 - 1906. Minnie Louisa Lovett
1909 - 14. Henry Webb
1917. Roland Woods
1921 - 31. William Maggs
1935 - 38. Joseph Thomson
1944 - 50. George James