The Queen’s Head
St.James’s Barton / Bond Street

A picture from the 1860’s, the Queen’s Head is the small gabled building, and at the right of the picture can be seen the entrance to the Upper Arcade.  Today the pub would be standing somewhere between the House of Fraser and Debenhams near the sunken roundabout. All in this picture was lost in the blitz.

Behind the van can be seen the rubble that was once the Queen’s Head, bombed 24th November 1940.

1792. Richard Townsend
1794. Sarah Townsend
1800. Samuel Benfield
1820 - 28. William Maby
1829 to 1843. Mary Ann Maby
1844. William Bennett
1847 - 56. James Pritchard
1858 - 68. Elizabeth Pritchard
1869. Edwin Clark
1871. M. Clark
1872 - 94. Frederick Glass
1896. H. Thomas
1897 - 99. Charles Fisher
1901. William Wintle
1904 - 06. George Phelps
1914. John Tracy
1917 - 21. Ernest Beard
1925. Ernest Beard & Sons
1935. Dorothy Pitt
1937 - 38. Walter Home