The Montague Hotel
Kingsdown Parade

The Montague was the first house to be built in Kingsdown around 1737 and was named after the Montagues who owned the estate that included Kingsdown. At one time the inn was famous for it’s turtle soup much of which was exported to London.  The Montague was pulled down after suffering severe bomb damage in the war, the site was never rebuilt and is now the green triangle at the top of Horfield Road.  

1792 - 94.Hannah Whiffen
1800 - 22. John Burnham
1826. John Pring
1828 - 37. Robert Marshall
1840 - 44. John Pring
1848 - 51. William Pullin
1853 - 87. Elizabeth Ward
1889 - 94. Frederick Phillips
1896. T & F. Phillips
1897. Frederick Phillips
1899. Harry H. Stanton
1904 - 17. Edwin Cambridge
1925. Alfred Biddulph
1928 - 31. Archibald Armstrong
1935 - 37. Ethel Armstrong