The Hole In The Wall / Merchants’ Arms
Prince Street

On the corner with King Street, in this photograph the Merchants’ Arms is shown awaiting demolition. Up until the mid-nineteenth century this pub was known as The Hole In The Wall, it was removed in 1936 for the building of the diagonal roadway through Queen Square. The pub’s name was a compliment to the Merchant Venturers Hall which was just across the road.

Hole in the wall

1775. Rowland Plant
1792. John Potter
1794. Matthewsalem Bowen
1800. John Brooking
1822. John Prew
1826 - 34. Robert Smart
1837 - 40. T. W. Elliott
1842 - 44. Charles Stewart
1845 to 1847. Walter Carter
1848 - 49. Charles Stewart
1852. Joseph Purnell
1853 - 55. E. Mead

Merchants’ Arms

1858 - 83. Edward Price
1886. Sarah Price
1887 - 89. John Harris
1891. Lewis Lewis
1892 - 1909. Mary Ann Fowkes
1914. Robert Woolf
1917. Edward Smethurst
1921. Benjamin Cox Smith
1925. Ernest Roskaln
1928 - 31. Edward Leigh