The Fourteen Stars Tavern
Counterslip

On the corner with Hawkins Lane this 17th century inn was pulled down in 1857 to make way for Finzels sugar factory. When  Courages Brewery was extended in 1967 a fermenting block was opened on this site.  The Bristol Brewery closed down a few years ago and the site is now undergoing re-development.  Hawkins Lane led down to the original Countess Slip (Counterslip) opposite St.Peters Church and the ferry to Bristol Castle.
In Bristol’s Colston Hall there is a marble bust of Conrad Finzel, the plinth of which is made from an oak beam salvaged from the Fourteen Stars.

1775 - 1800. Charles Price
1822 - 34. John Hodges
1837. Joseph Clarke
1840 - 56. Robert Allen