The Court Sampson
Thomas Street

This 17th century building was demolished in 1914. Like many of the properties on St.Thomas Street and Redcliff Street the Court Sampson a smart town house when built, had a long thin area behind it’s narrow front, this originally was the garden, when the building was demolished this area contained a cottage, shed, workshop and two warehouses.

1863 to 1868. John Cross
1869 to 1889. James Nicholls
1890 to1891. Thomas Sheppard
1892 to 1893. George Russell
1894. William Tomkins
1995. John Bennett
1896 to 1998. Joseph Marsh
1899 to1903. Charles Spratt
1904. Sarah Spratt
1905 to1907. Walter Gregory
1908 to 1913. Robert Wallace

John Cross & James Nicholls are both listed as Grocer / Beer Retailer. So far the earliest reference  to the pub’s name is in Wright’s 1888 Bristol Directory.