The Bute Arms
Victoria Street

In 1844 the shop at No.140 Thomas Street was occupied by Lea & Merrick, glass merchants, by 1853 it had become a commercial eating house and in 1865 the business was listed as a commercial and family boarding house and refreshment rooms. From 1870 when work began on the building of Victoria Street it was known as the Victoria Hotel (ale & porter stores).  Oddly, in 1876 when this stretch of Thomas Street was incorporated into Victoria Street the name was changed to the Bute Arms. The pub was bombed in the war and in 1961 the site was cleared to make way for the new E, S & A. Robinson building which is still standing on the corner of Redcliff Street.

Commercial eating house

1853 to 1861. M. Rawlins
1862 to 1869. Josiah Brown

VICTORIA HOTEL Thomas Street

1870 to 1876. Josiah Brown

BUTE ARMS Victoria Street

1877 to 1880. Josiah Brown
1881 to 1884. Eliza Hoare
1885. William Reynolds
1886 to 1888. William Darke
1889. John Foreman
1890 to 1891. G. Russell
1892 to 1900. Clara  Susan Emery
1901 to 1903. Clara Pym
1904 to 1910. Clara Webley
1911 to 1912. Lilian Allen
1913 to 1914. Septimus Young
1915 to 1923. Edith Grainger
1924 to 1925. Thomas Brinsdon
1927 to 1929. Thomas Lewis
1930 to 1936. Edith Vale
1937 to 1939. Herbert Simmonds
1940. Elsie May Simmonds