The Bear & Rugged Staff
Little Peter Street

Seen next door to the re-built Cat & Wheel this 17th century pub was pulled down in 1969 for a museum complex which was never built. Today the pub would stand in Castle Park opposite the Newgate entrance to the Galleries car park.  In the picture the square object below the first floor window is a reflecting board (dated 1653) this was used to direct light into the room, a very common and useful device in the narrow streets of old Bristol.

1792. Ann Mattam
1794. John Mattam
1800. Charles Hoskins
1820 - 22. George Parker
1823. John Herepath
1824. Elizabeth Herepath
1825. William Bennett
1826 to 1831. James Sheffield
1832. Mrs. Sheffield
1833. Jane Sheffield
1834 to 1835. Thomas Sanders
1836. William Watkins
1837. Michael Wycherley
1838 to 1840. Henry Merry
1841 to 1844. George Hunter
1845 to 1846. Thomas Ricketts
1847 to 1854. Thomas Sowden
1855 to 1860. James Carver
1861 to 1867. Edwin Porter
1868 to 1869. James Hare
1870 to 1873. James Carver
1874. Mrs. Adams
1875 to 1885. James Cleaves
1886 to 1887. W. Palmer
1888 to 1890. Adelaide Palmer
1891 to 1895. Adelaide O‚ÄôLeary  
1896 to 1900. Adelaide Hancock
1901 to 1907. William Carter
1908 - 21. George Peters
1923 - 31. George Wakefield
1932 - 40. Henry Herniman Howard
1944. Gilbert Browning
1947. Stanley Barnet
1950 - 56. Stanley Bennett